Friday, June 19, 2015

This weekend (6/19/15) [edited to add hockey game because I'm a moron]

Saturday's 7v7 soccer tournament has been officially cancelled!  Apparently it was a mixture of apathy and weather.  So, no soccer.  Last night we went to the high school soccer team family picnic.  The freshman families were assigned to bring desserts.  I'm always irrationally hyper-sensitive about these things, because in the past I've encountered a lot of judginess about being a working mom and that crap just sticks with you.

Not knowing any of these people, I was feeling a lot of pressure to produce something decent.  Well, life gets in the way, and there was not even the tiniest chance that I could make something to bring.  So I did the next best thing.  I stopped at Fisher's on the way home, and bought two containers of no-bake cookies that looked like I could have made them. When I got home, I put them on a paper plate and covered them with tinfoil.  I was completely fine with perpetrating a fraud on Brendan's teammates' families.  Mike, who knows me better than anyone else on the planet, called me out on it immediately.

Then I focused the Crazy on my outfit.  Not too dressy; most of these people live 99% of their lives in athletic gear.  Not too slovenly; don't want to somehow get voted off the island on the first date.  I  ironed my shorts, people.  In the end, all three of us were an inadvertently adorable conglomeration of blue and white.

We went, it was lovely, and the entire dessert table was filled with nothing but plastic bakery containers and my lonely little plate of camouflaged cookies.  I genuinely wish I'd taken a picture, as a reminder that that's just how life works, most of the time.

On to the nitty gritty:  there's nothing really going on this weekend, except, hockey, which I totally forgot about when I wrote this earlier.  Natey's last hockey game of the spring session will be Sunday at 2:40 pm.

Also on Sunday, Mike and Bren are leaving for camp.  If you want the address to send letters, let me know and I will give it to you.  Nathan will join them on Wednesday for his very first camp experience!  I know they're going to have an amazing time, and I'm going to miss them like crazy.

The dogs and I will be eating a lot of cereal for dinner and watching not one single scary movie because I don't do well alone in the dark.  Insert memory here about the one time I called the police because I thought someone was breaking into the house, but it was really just my pet turtle bumping up against the back door.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment