Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Breaking non-news: FIFA officials charged with corruption

So, until Brendan decided that soccer was his sport, I knew absolutely nothing about it.  I still don't know that much, to be perfectly honest.  I like watching it.  I think the Columbus Crew games are fun to go to.  I'll shoot dirty looks at the parents who accuse my kid of a handball when he wasn't actually "handling" the ball (I'm a rule-follower).  But talk to me about Barcelona's efforts at rebuilding blah blah blah and my eyes start to glaze over.

However, even for a total novice like me, I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious headline than the ones today about charges of corruption amongst officials at FIFA, international soccer's governing body.  Did they honestly think that Qatar was chosen as the location for the 2022 World Cup because the climate is particularly well-suited to a bunch of guys running the equivalent of a marathon for 90 minutes without a break?  Also, has there ever in the history of all things historical been a sport in which there was no corruption?

Still, it sort of seems like a weird thing for the US Dept. of Justice to be spending its time and resources on.

No comments:

Post a Comment